Allister Coetzee's fate appears to have been decided after a review process was concluded, but South Africa Rugby are yet to confirm if the head coach will remain in charge.
Coetzee only took charge of the Springboks last April, but is under pressure after his side lost eight of their 12 Tests in 2016.
An embattled Coetzee reported back to the Springbok Steering Committee in December after what SA Rugby president Mark Alexander described as "a profoundly disappointing season".
SA Rugby on Friday provided an update on the situation, but gave little away.
A brief statement on the governing body's website said: "Mr Mark Alexander, SA Rugby president, on Friday said that all the work around the coach review process had been concluded, but that the Union can't make any comment on the process until all the contractual negotiations had been completed.
"SA Rugby have to deal with all relevant matters before making any announcements on the outcomes, which will happen as soon as possible."